In 1941, Brunschwig & Fils founder Roger Brunschwig went off to war and his wife, Zelina, took over the family business. Mrs. B, as she was affectionately called, was a woman of great style, sophistication and inventiveness. Mrs. B is credited with developing the brand and aesthetic of Brunschwig & Fils as we know it today and for introducing scheming into its marketing efforts. Her motto "Good Design Is Forever" still holds true today.
Mrs. B collected documentary textile designs found in American houses for years, and she was keen to make use of the great collection of European documentary patterns that her husband, Colonel Brunschwig, and his father, Achille, had collected and stored in France. It was arranged for these precious documents to be packed in map cases and sent to America for safekeeping during WW II. More than 10,000 documents are now preserved in the Brunschwig & Fils archive. The Brunschwig & Fils collection displays a constant recycling of past designs – updated and recolored when necessary – illustrating the company’s motto that good design really is forever.